Monday, May 23, 2011

Frustration

Because I wish things would SLOW DOWN. I feel like I've been non-stop moving since I got here and it's made building a home together a painfully slow process. There are still boxes in the library and unpainted walls in the bedroom. We haven't done our movie blog in WEEKS. We still don't have a couch. And there never seems to be any time to just ENJOY what we've got.

Since we moved in three weeks ago, I've spent 3 days in Pennsylvania, then my parents came, then we went to Canton for Matt's brother's graduation. Tomorrow, I fly out for a conference in Anaheim for three days, drive home to Long Island on Friday, am flying to LA next Thursday and then am in my friend's wedding the following weekend. No weekends, no weekdays - no time.

The ticket to LA delayed the purchasing of the couch. Though we may look into a financing deal. I REALLY hate the couch we have now. It was with me for three years in my studio - looking pretty, but I never bothered to sit on it, it was so uncomfortable. For a studio, it didn't really matter. I had the big armchair and my bed in the same room and so I didn't need to sit on the couch. But now, with a separate living room, a nice flat screen tv and a cuddle-able boyfriend, I'd like a comfortable couch.

I bought a slipcover last week to help ease the pain, also figuring if this works, we can move this couch back to the library when we're ready. But... it really sucks. It doesn't stay and doesn't stand the Matt test AT ALL. Adjust yourself twice and the thing is practically off. Matt adjusts himself 1000 times.

So I'm thinking a DIY project is in order, for whenever I find the time again. I thought I might go to JoAnn's and see if I can't find material that matches the slipcover to sew individual covers for each of the three cushions. Then, I thought, with the cushions off and some serious tucking, I could fit the slipcover over the base of the couch really nicely and stitch it in place in various tucked away corners so that it stops moving. This would require a lot of hand sewing as I don't have a sewing machine, but I'm not a terrible hand sewer and I think I could do it. Pillows are easy enough, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment